Tips for Improving Online Quizzes in D2L
- Shuffle the order of questions.
- Shuffling the order of questions presents a different question order for each student that takes the assessment, making it more difficult to share answers.
- Questions can be shuffled by selecting the Shuffle questions at the quiz level checkbox on the Properties tab of a quiz in D2L.
- This can be taken a step further through the use of random question pools within a quiz, creating the possibility that students may not even see the same questions during an assessment.
- Make use of time restrictions.
- Using an enforced time limit reduces the time available for students to simply look up answers in a book or online and enter them into the assessment, reinforcing the importance of reviewing materials prior to the exam for students.
- It is recommended to select the Prevent the student from making further changes option in order to grade the questions that were answered within the time limit.
- Students who require extra time for taking an assessment can be granted special access to a D2L quiz in order to have an extended time limit.
- Use a variety of question types – There are more to D2L quizzes than multiple choice questions.
- True or False Question
- Multiple Choice Question
- Multi-Select Question
- Written Response Question
- Short Answer Question
- Multi-Short Answer Question
- Fill in the Blanks Question
- Matching Question
- Ordering Question
- Arithmetic Question
- Significant Figures
Available question types include:
For more information on using the Quizzes tool in D2L, please feel free to contact the eLearning Department at any time.