There are several steps to follow to set up a new quiz in D2L: selecting settings for the quiz, adding quiz questions, and allowing student access to the quiz.
BEST PRACTICE: Instructors should review their quizzes each semester to ensure that the quizzes are aligned with the learning objectives and content covered during the semester.
- From the Assessments menu, select Quizzes.
- Select New Quiz.
- Enter the Name of the quiz.
- Select Add/Edit Questions.
- From the Add menu, select New Question.
- Select the Question Type. BEST PRACTICE: Use a variety of question types (such as matching, written response, and fill-in-the-blank) within a quiz to allow students to display knowledge of the content in multiple ways.
- Fill in the required fields such as Question Text, Answers, and Points.
- Select Save.
- Continue this process until all questions have been added to the quiz.
- Once questions have been added to the quiz, select the following optional features:
- Questions per page: Enter the number of questions presented at once time.
- Paging: Select the checkbox to prevent students from moving backwards through pages.
- Shuffle questions at the quiz level: Select the checkbox to shuffle all questions in a quiz; providing a different question order for each student.
- Hide from Users: Select the checkbox to hide the quiz from users. Note: This MUST BE unchecked in order for students to access the quiz even if start/end dates are applied.
- Set Start and End Dates (Optional): Use the calendar and time tools to set start and end dates for student access to begin and end. Note: Setting an End Date will turn off access to the quiz for all students.
- Recommended or enforced time limit.
- Recommended Time Limit: Select the radio button to provide students with an idea of how much time will be needed to complete a quiz. Access will not cut off with a recommended time limit.
- Enforced Time Limit: Select the radio button to set an enforced time limit that will cut off student access based on the selected options.
- Automatic Grade: Select the checkbox to have quiz attempts graded immediately upon submission. Note: The score displayed is only what the system can auto-grade. Any long response or short answer questions must be manually graded.
- Grade Item: Select the gradebook item from the drop-down list, or select [add grade item] to create a new grade item in the gradebook.
- Auto Export to Grades: Select the checkbox to allow quiz grades to automatically export to the gradebook.
- Attempts Allowed: Select the number of attempts allowed for the quiz. Select Apply to maintain changes.
- Retake Incorrect Questions Only: Select the checkbox to allow students to retake incorrect questions only on additional attempts. Note: To utlize this feature multiple attempts must be allowed.
- To edit the Default Submission View:
- Select Default View.
- From the Show Questions? options, select the submission view preferences.
- Select Save.