D2L Learning Opportunities
Tech It Out Trainings: Topics YOU want, just when YOU need it!
Tech It Out is a series of multiple trainings developed by the eLearning Department for Instructors in D2L.
- Adding the Activity Feed to a D2L Course – Adding an Activity Feed to a D2L Course is a self-paced training that will take you through how to add the D2L Activity Feed to a course in D2L in order to provide a new way for Instructors and students interact and engage with each other.
- Six Challenges Students Face with the Setup of D2L Course Gradebooks – Six Challenges Students Face with the Setup of D2L Course Gradebooks is a self-paced training that focuses on six challenges students face with the setup of D2L course gradebooks. This training will discuss how each challenge can cause hardships for students, as well as provide a recommended fix. In addition, this training explains the importance of reviewing D2L gradebook settings to ensure the D2L gradebook equally supports both Instructors and students.
Additional training topics are in development and will be added to the Tech It Out course site in D2L each semester. Instructors can find the Tech It Out course listed in their My Courses Widget in D2L. Watch your email and announcements in D2L for when new trainings are available in this exciting new training course!
The eLearning Department maintains multiple trainings to prepare Instructors for using D2L and related tools. Trainings can be accessed through the My Courses widget on the My Home page of D2L.
- Engaging Students in D2L – Engaging Students in D2L is a self-paced training, designed to provide an overview of the D2L tools and third party integrations, available to Instructors and students, that can be used to support engagement practices in a D2L course(s). The training provides a technical overview and demonstration of tools, as well as pedagogical strategies for incorporating tools into a D2L course(s) to enhance engagement and support learning. The training focuses on three types of engagement, including Instructor-to-Student Engagement, Student-to-Student Engagement, and Student-to-Content Engagement.
- Reviewing a Course in D2L – Reviewing a Course in D2L is a self-paced training, designed to help course reviewers become familiar with the CMS Course Review process, including the CMS Course Review Scorecard. The CMS Course Review Scorecard looks at both the individual elements that make up a course, as well as the course as a whole. While course design, curriculum, assessment, and pedagogy are not a one-size-fits-all approach, there are common elements that should be present in all courses. This training will identify the common elements a course reviewer should look for, as well as provide reasoning and examples for these elements. Please note that the Reviewing a Course in D2L training is an advanced training. To request access to this training, please submit an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teaching Online with D2L – Teaching Online with D2L is designed to help Instructors become familiar with the tools and features of the Course Management System, currently D2L, in order to create and teach an online course. The training utilizes instructional videos to demonstrate how to use D2L. Topics include how to set up a grade book, adding content to a course, building assessments, communication options, and more.
- Using Kaltura in D2L Courses – Using Kaltura in D2L Courses is a self-paced training designed to assist Instructors with creating Kaltura multimedia (video, audio, screen capture) for D2L courses. Kaltura is a video platform that allows Instructors and students to create, store, and stream multimedia in D2L courses. Learn how to create multimedia to increase engagement, Instructor presence, and collaboration in course curriculum. This training will provide an overview of Kaltura in D2L, including recording options, tools, and pedagogical strategies to support teaching and learning in an online environment.
- Using WebEx in D2L Courses – Using WebEx in D2L Courses is a self-paced training designed to assist Instructors with incorporating WebEx sessions into D2L courses to increase instructor presence, encourage collaboration between Instructors and students, as well as enhance the overall teaching and learning experience. The training is designed to provide an overview of WebEx in D2L, including WebEx session options, tools, and pedagogical strategies to support teaching and learning in an online environment.
- Introduction to Course Design in D2L